The Deuter Kid Comfort III Child Carrier is definitely a family favorite. It’s been on the market for a while, and it’s one of the most popular “Big Name Brand” child carriers out there. Recently, a new full featured child carrier hit the market, and it’s giving Deuter a run for their money. It’s called the Osprey Poco Premium. It has a ton of great features. Some of which even top the Dueter. So I decided to compare these two full featured child carriers side by side, and see what the advantages are for both.
- Lightweight – 7 pounds 10 oz
- Maximum load weight – 48.5 pounds, includes child and gear
- Locking kickstands
- Built-in sunshades
- Removable, washable chin pads
- Compression straps – adjust the size of the cockpit to fit your child, also handy when it comes to loading and unloading your child
- Torso height adjusters – adjust the shoulder straps up or down to fit
- Padded child cockpit with height adjustable saddle seats
- Hydration pack storage
Deuter Kid Comfort III Advantages
- Side entry – this is super handy, your child can literally load themselves. Plus, the Deuter Kid Comfort III opens up wider than the Poco Premium.
- More back support – the large head rest gives taller children more support
- Vari-Flex waist belt – this waist belt pivots in the center, and the hip fins move with your body. So instead of carrying a stiff pack that inhibits your movements, the Deuter Kid Comfort III gives you more freedom.
- AirContact Ventilation System – the back panel has padded channels that air can move through freely, keeping you cool and comfortable
Osprey Poco Premium Advantages
- Dual adjust foot stirrups – great for bigger kids. It gives them more support, and allows them to ride longer, more comfortably.
- Easy to use child safety harness – It buckles over the shoulders. The Deuter Kid Comfort III safety harness is just like a car seat. The shoulder straps come down and buckle by the crotch, and so does the waist belt buckles. If your little one is wearing some extra clothes to keep them warm, you have to dig down to buckle them up. The shoulder straps on the Poco Premium adjust at the top as well, so you don’t have to dig.
- Fit-on-the-Fly hip belt – This is a pretty neat feature. It has retractable padding, so you can adjust it to fit perfectly no matter what your size is.
- More storage – The Osprey Poco Premium offers 2075 cubic inches of storage, as opposed to the Deuter Kid Comfort III’s 1220 cubic inches. It also has more little pockets, like the cell phone pocket on the shoulder strap. The only problem is that it won’t fit larger cell phones, like some Smart Phones or Razrs.
- Detachable daypack – works great for storage and it detaches easily for light hiking. It also offers a padded changing pad for convenience.
- Sliding sternum strap – The sternum strap adjusts easily by sliding it up or down. The Deuter Kid Comfort III also offers an adjustable sternum strap, but it’s not near as easy.
UPDATE (2018): Updated version called the Osprey Poco Premium AG. Additional features include: the new AG (Anti-Gravity) suspension, extra storage, and the new double halo harness. For more information, read Osprey Poco AG Series – What’s New.
It’s really hard to say which one of these child carriers is better. I recommend trying them on at your local store before you make a purchase. One may fit better than the other. As far as features are concerned, both come pretty well equipped. If you have a bigger kid, the Deuter Kid Comfort III may be a better fit. It has the large headrest, plus the cockpit is a bit more adjustable. The Poco Premium offers better leg support, so if you’re planning super long hikes, it may be more comfortable for your child. Plus the harness is easier to adjust.
As far as reviews go, both reviewed really well. The Deuter Kid Comfort III has been on the market longer, so there is more feedback available. Out of a total of 24 reviews, 23 rated it 4 to 5 stars, that’s a 96% customer satisfaction rating. The Poco Premium had a total of 10 reviews (that I could find), with all 10 rating it 4 to 5 stars, so that’s a 100% customer satisfaction rating.
Last I checked, the best prices were at Amazon.
Deuter Kid Comfort III – on SALE for $299.00 with FREE Shipping
Osprey Poco Premium – on SALE for $330.00 with FREE Shipping
If you’re still undecided, check out the full reviews listed below.
Deuter Child Carriers– There are currently 4 models of Deuter Child Carriers currently on the market. The Deuter Kid Comfort Child Carriers which come in 3 different designs, and the Deuter KangaKid.
Osprey Poco Child Carriers – There are three child carriers in this series, the Poco, the Poco Plus, and the Poco Premium. Let’s take a look at each design, and decide which one suits you best.
Best Baby Backpack Carriers, AKA Child Carriers – This list includes the best baby backpack carriers on the market. Compare prices, features, and customer feedback. Find the BEST baby backpack carrier for you and your family.